Marble is definitely the ‘in thing’ for bloggers and, let’s be honest, it makes a great backdrop for flat lays and Instagram photos. Unfortunately, for some of us, me included, we can’t afford to change work tops (or can’t because we rent) and marble top tables may be a bit out of the price range too. If this sounds familiar to you then never fear!!! I have the easiest tutorial for DIY marble backgrounds which can just be used for this purpose or you can make it into a shelf, or on your kitchen counters – the world is your marbley oyster!
So all you will need is:
- Bank card (or some sort of hard but flexi piece of card to smooth down)
- Marble Self Adhesive Vinyl Film
- Old shelf/piece of wood/flat surface
I had some pieces of wood from an old IKEA book shelf that wasn’t being used so I took one of the shelves to use for this project.
- Lay your piece of wood ontop of the back of the adhesive film. The back of the film has really helpful grid lines for you to follow which helps get straight lines. Still useful to have a ruler at hand though.
2. Make sure you leave about 1.5 inches around the wood so that you can fold it over the sides. Draw lines where you will cut.
3. Once you have cut out the shape peel off the back of the vinyl and start applying to the top of your shelf/piece of wood. Don’t worry if you don’t get it on in the right position first time as you can easily peel off and start again as it takes about 4 hours for the vinyl and surface to properly bond.
4. Smooth out vinyl with a bank card (or something similar) to get rid of any air bubbles. Make sure you smooth it down right to the edges to get a nice sharp edge. (Nosy cat – optional).
5. Pop any stubborn air bubbles with a pin and smooth out again.
6. Carefully turn over shelf and start to fold up edges. Pull edges up and over quite tight and smooth down well to create smooth edges.
7. Once you get to the corners cut off excess material so that both sides meet evenly at the corner with no excess material folded over.
AND VOILA! Your finished, beautiful marble shelf/awesome Instagram backdrop! (You can thank me later!)
Please give this post a share if you found it useful.
BRB – going to marble-ize my kitchen worktops. #FakeItTilYouMakeIt
SHOP THE PRODUCT: